Contributors

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Putting Humpty Together Again...



Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men

Couldn't put Humpty together again 


Ever feel like poor Humpty Dumpty?  I feel like I am living in Humpty right now!      


We had an electrical fire in the attic after lightening struck our home.  Yup - lightening!!!! 

Since the lightening strike, I've been in insurance hell!  And the house smells like a camp fire.  My nose  & eyes hurt when I'm here with windows closed.  And while I can't usually smell much, I can smell this horrible smell quite well (it figures!).  The 'cleaners' came to get our clothes to dry clean them & they took EVERYTHING!  They even took the clothes out of the hamper!  They took every curtain, sheet, blanket, wash cloth, towel - they even took my shoes (leather pumps & boots)! Strangely, they didn't take our pillows - and the pillows STINK!

We have electric in only half the house.  Luckily for everyone who comes in contact with me, I can plug in my coffee pot - since this process would try the patience of Job!

Today, we have gotten estimates for the electrical  work so the electric will be fixed soon.  Then the reconstruction of Humpty can begin.  Cleaning, painting, re-carpeting...& finally I can get my stuff back!  This is a long process. 

Through out this situation, I've been looking for the lesson in this craziness.  I'm still not sure what the lesson is, but I have a few ideas:
#1 - I should stop complaining that Don can smell anything within a mile of wherever he stands!  Without that nose of his, we might be dead!
#2 - I should review my insurance policies every time something changes.  My deductible is huge (at least to me)
#3 - I should be more thankful for this home God allowed me to obtain - it could be taken away very quickly
#4 - Delaware - that I laughingly used to call "Mayberry RFD" is still Mayberry RFD -  and I'm thankful for the 'small town' that it is full of concerned and giving neighbors, and a fire department and police department with a great response time
#5 - Considering I've been wearing the same few outfits that were "luckily" in my suitcase when the cleaners came - apparently, I don't need nearly as many clothes or shoes as I thought! (LOL)
#6 - I should focus every day on how lucky we are to be in this home, in this neighborhood, with our family & neighbors. 
#7 - Unlike all the king's horses and all the king's me, the contractors will be able to put this Humpty together again! 
The air around me might stink, but ...
LIFE
IS
GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment